Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning that we earn a commission if you purchase a product or service through our exclusive links at no cost to you. For more details, please read our full disclosure.
I’m sure we can all agree that it can be hard to stay comfortable when camping, especially in tents. A good quality tent carpet can help, adding extra comfort and softening any lumps underneath the tent. In this article, I’ll cover the benefits of buying a rug for your tent, show you how to properly wash your tent carpet, and review three tent carpets that we love.
What is a tent carpet?
So what is a tent carpet? It’s like a camping mat or floor rug, but for the tent. It makes the ground thicker and softer to sleep on, especially for the kids, and smoothing any lumps or rocks underneath the tent.
A tent carpet is a great idea to purchase, especially if you often go camping with your family! It will give you added comfort, warmth and can be used as a shoe mat as well. Who doesn’t love a multi-use purchase? : )
What are the benefits of using a tent carpet?
There are many reasons to get a tent carpet, so let’s discuss them.
- Comfort: With the extra layer on the floor, this makes a softer ground to sleep on and softens any lumps, rocks, or gravel that may be under the tent. You can’t go wrong with some added comfort, especially when camping outdoors.
- Warmth: Sometimes, the thin tent floor just isn’t enough. Sleeping bags and blankets help, but having a full floor carpet gives you that extra warmth between you and the floor.
- Material: Most material on tents can be loud when you touch it, almost like a crackling noise. Having a carpet on the floor stops noise when moving around or get in and out of the tent.
- Make it homier: There are so many different tent carpets, colors, patterns, and materials. Not only is it fun to shop for things that add uniqueness, but finding the best tent carpet for yours can give it a more at-home feel.
How to wash a tent carpet
If your tent carpet gets a bit dirty, how do you clean it?
Spills are likely to happen, especially camping with kids, so it’s essential to know how to clean your carpet correctly and what can be used. If a spill does happen, at least it didn’t get on the tent, right?
- Vacuum – You’re first going to want to vacuum any dirt that may be on the carpet. Vacuuming will help the next step and make the washing process easier.
- Scrub – Next, you’ll want to scrub the carpet with soap and water, or if you have a carpet cleaner, that will work even better. Make sure to scrub lightly.
Also, avoid putting the carpet in a washing machine, as that can damage it.
How to Stop a Tent Carpet from Moving
Your tent carpet may move around, depending on how well it fits or the material. One easy way to stop this is by placing your items on the rug. It could be a bag, water bottles, or shoes. Another easy way is to look for a tent carpet with a non-slip backing, which ensures that your tent carpet will stay secure, stick to the ground, and won’t move.
Now let’s take a look at the list.
Key Features to Look for
- Lightweight – Getting a lightweight tent carpet will make packing and setting up much more manageable. Especially with tent camping, and extra purchases, it will help if it’s less of a hassle.
- Portable/Practical – We all know when camping, practical items are the best. That being mini cereal cups, paper plates, plastic cutlery, etc. Especially something that is multi-useful, like a tent carpet as well as a shoe mat. It’s helpful to keep practicality in mind.
- Comfortable – This point is significant. Look for a tent carpet that has extra padding or a double lining! You may have your sleeping bags and lots of blankets, but the added comfort can make all the difference.
- Easy to clean – If you’re camping with kids precisely and in a tent, things can get a little messy. Maybe some spilled drinks or food? Knowing how to clean the carpet will be very helpful, so make sure the carpet’s material is easy to clean or vacuum.
- Non-slip backing – This one isn’t an absolute necessity but will for sure be helpful. Your carpet may move around, and if you don’t have anything weighing it down in the corners of the tent or wherever it’s moving, it may get annoying.
- Mold resistant – I noticed many tent carpet descriptions had a mold-resistant feature, which I hadn’t thought of before! With the carpet on the floor soaking up moisture and anything spilled, there could be mold or rust over time. If that’s something that you want to avoid, look for one with “mold-resistant” in the description!
Drymate Tent Carpet
First on our list is the Drymate tent carpet. This one is long enough to lay outside of the tent and a possible spot for shoes. This carpet material is made of polyester with a waterproof backing, great for camping. You can easily roll this backup, and the handle is attached.
This one has a soft padding for your feet, making it more comfortable to sleep and walk. This carpet is easily portable and lightweight. I love anything that can be multipurpose full, and with this tent carpet, you can use it for a picnic as well!
The waterproof backing adds grip and helps keep the carpet in place, preventing it from moving around too much.
- Waterproof backing
- Easy to clean
- Extra padding
- Rolls up easily
Camco Tent Carpet
Next, we have the Camco tent carpet. This tent rug is reversible and has three color options, blue, green, and burgundy. There are many unique features of this carpet. It’s mold-resistant, easy to clean and pack up, and spruces up your tent appearance!
This tent carpet is a great size, giving you extra room outside the tent to keep your shoes on the mat. It’s not only great for tent camping, but the beach as well, or a picnic.
This carpet is high quality, durable for horrible weather conditions, mold and rust-resistant, multi-purposeful, and the most comfortable for your tent.
- Mold resistant
- Nice color options
Camco Leisure Tent Carpet
Last on our list is another Camco tent carpet. This one comes in so many different colors and designs, as well as many sizes/dimensions! Just like the other one, it will keep any rust/mold away, and you can place your shoes on the carpet outside.
Not only is this perfect for underneath a tent, but you can also set it outside of an RV/pop-up camper as a shoe mat or soft floor for your feet. This mat is very durable, lightweight, portable, and easy to pack up.
There are many beneficial reasons to purchase a tent carpet for your next camping trip. I highly recommend this one, especially if you want an excellent, vibrant design; there are many options available!
- Many colors
- Many designs
- Mold resistant
Tent Carpets: Final Thoughts
Some items are designed to make the camping experience more comfortable on the list of camping gear essentials, like a hammock, coffee maker, or a nice set of wine glasses. Tent carpets not only add comfort but are also highly practical. We highly recommend one, especially for tent camping.